10) The Dark Knight Rises- A fitting end to a wonderful trilogy.
9) Skyfall- A return to form for Daniel Craig and the James Bond franchise. A Bond film with heart and soul.
8) Silver Linings Playbook- The genius of this film is the way it sneaks up on you and wins you over. A terrific ensemble cast.
7) The Avengers- I was worried how all these superheroes would be able to share screen time. Writer/director Joss Whedon pulls it off beautifully.
6) Bernie- A very black comedy based on a true story. A really wonderful performance from Jack Black, not to mention his great chemistry with Shirley Maclaine.
5) Zero Dark Thirty- The most intense performance of the year by Jessica Chastain fuels the back story of the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. Brilliantly directed by Kathryn Bigalow and meticulously written by Mark Boal.
4) Searching For Sugarman- Amazing documentary that is part mystery, part musical and a revelatory introduction to the music of Rodriguez.
3) Django Unchained- Quentin Tarantino does it again with a film that is funny, smart, violent and always shocking. A great tribute to spaghetti westerns and black exploitation films while staying true to itself.
2) Argo- Blend an outrageous truth with an unbelievable fiction and you get a surprisingly funny and very suspenseful drama from director Ben Affleck.
1) Beasts of The Southern Wild- There is no easy way to describe this original, wonderful fairy tale of a drama that takes place in the Louisiana lowlands. I saw it in July and it's images still linger. Six year old (at the time) lead actress Quvenzhane Wallis is a revelation.
Honorable Mentions- Lincoln, The Master, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Life of Pi.
Foreign Thriller Honorable Mentions- Easy Money, Headhunters, and Sleepless Night. See them before Hollywood ruins them with American remakes.
Worst of 2012 (in no particular order)-
Underworld: Awakening, One For The Money, John Carter, Dark Shadows, The Dictator, Men in Black 3, Snow White & The Huntsmen, Rock of Ages, Savages, and Trouble With The Curve.