Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Moon



Not a film I would ordinarily review but since I took 4 teenage girls to see it, I'll weigh in. Bogged down in teenage angst, the film just crawls along dragging the audience with it. The cast has returned to part two in the series and this time the focus is on Jacob (Taylor Lautner) after Edward (Robert Pattinson) turns his back on Bella (kristen Stewart).

Mr. Lautner's idea of acting is to remove his shirt and let his buff body carry him through the film. Mr. Pattinson and Ms. Stewart have cornered the market on brooding and sleepwalking through a role. The film is joyless and painful to watch as Bella procrastinates between her vampire and her werewolf.

Polling my 4 teen viewers, one really liked it, two thought it was ok, and one disliked it. The young lady who didn't like it said it didn't hold up to the expectations of the book. I didn't read the book but I did see the first film and I was expecting more as well.

The legions of fans make this film critic proof and frankly, that's just who the film is for...the fans. Everyone else can skip it and and not miss anything.

No comments: