Thursday, December 21, 2017

Star Wars: The Last Jedi


       The wait is over for episode VIII of the Star Wars saga and the second film in this new planned trilogy. It's always a thrill to hear that Star Wars theme crash through space as the prologue scrolls up the screen however, this new film is far from perfect.

        While there are plenty of exciting action sequences, the space battles are starting to become repetitive and a bit dull. The story picks up just after the end of episode VII, and while it's only been two films so far, the character of Finn is really starting to annoy me. "I'm a coward...no, I'm a hero...no I'm a coward" is wearing me down and can he get more dialog besides "where's Rey?" or "we have to find Rey"?

          I also find it difficult to believe Adam Driver as the main villain. He tries so hard but lacks the gravatas to be all powerful, especially when he's throwing tantrums. I do continue to enjoy Daisy Ridley as Rey. Unfortunately in this film, she spends most of her time on a desolate rock training with Luke Skywalker, which has "been there, done that" written all over it. Can anyone say Dagoba system"?

          The late Carrie Fisher enjoys quite a bit of screen time as Leia, which is a fitting tribute to her, although her walk through space sequence is a bit laughable. It's also a shame that loveable R2D2 is overshadowed by the even cuter BB-8. Oscar Isaac, as Poe Dameron, returns as well and does his best Han Solo impression as the hotshot pilot. There are other returning characters and some fresh faces (Benicio del Toro is well cast in a small but important role but Laura Dern is wasted).

          Every weapon deployed by the bad guys is a variation on the Death Star. While the 12 year old boy in me still loves all the action, my adult side is finding everything becoming repetitive. It's even making me repeat the word repetitive in my review. 

           The script lacks originality as it's just variations on themes we already know and some of the dialog is just ridiculous. The writers seem to be catering to the younger audience. Some of the camera angles are first person POV and makes the film seem like a video game, which inevitably it will become.

           The new creatures are imaginative but I couldn't help thinking they were created just to make adorable toys to sell later on. And that's the core problem with this franchise, it's become a giant marketing machine that goes well beyond a movie. While I hope Episode IX finds a way to really refresh the story, I know that what made Star Wars special in the first place is probably gone for good, lost in the almighty dollar. 

No comments: