Friday, April 05, 2024

The First Omen

 



     The original "The Omen" scared me so much in 1976, I needed a stiff drink after seeing it. Now 48 years later, we finally have the prequel, explaining Damian's birth.

      Pregnant novitiate nuns seem to be the rage right now and this film, while not great, is far superior to the recent "Immaculate". That was so bad, I didn't even bother to review it but rather I'm trying to forget I even saw it.

      This story introduces Novitiate, Margaret (played by Nell Tiger Free) in Rome to perform her vows while working at an Orphanage. Of course things turn sinister in time and people start to die. There are a few deaths that attempt to copy the novel deaths of the original but the shock value just isn't the same.

       Sinister nuns abound and there is lots of chanting and blood flows freely but I can't say I was actually scared. The film builds its suspense slowly but ramps it up in the third act. Ms. Free is convincing as Margaret, becoming more and more unhinged as she unravels the mystery and her involvement. 

       The film co-stars Sonia Braga as Sister Silvia, Ralph Ineson as Father Brennan, Billy Nighy as Cardinal Lawrence, Tawfeek Barhom as Father Gabriel, Maria Caballero as Luz, and Nicole Sorace as Carlita. Charles Dance has a quick cameo as well.

        There have been many films in this franchise. I would recommend watching the original after seeing this one. It still holds up.

No comments: