Best of 2009
Honorable mention- Up- A very warm human comedy told through rich animation.
10) Star Trek- Works on every level. Great casting, credible story and action at warp speed. This one delivers the goods!
9) The Messenger- Excellent human drama with fantastic performances from Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster
8) Avatar- Spectacular visuals enliven and enhance the retread plot. Tells an old story in an entirely new setting and makes it fresh and exciting
7) Precious- devastating urban drama with amazing performances.
6) Fantastic Mr. Fox- Delightful. Visually brilliant in its simplicity and crafty in it’s dialog.
5) An Education- Coming of age story brilliantly written and acted.
4) District 9- Fantastic, original filmmaking. A political Sc-fi film like no other.
3) Inglorious Basterds- Another triumph from Quentin Tarantino.
2) Up in the Air- Very entertaining but also depressing dramady with spot on acting by George Clooney, Anna Kendrick and Vera Famiga.
1) The Hurt Locker- Authentic, visceral, and gripping story of war that keeps you on edge with unbearable suspense.
Worst of 2009
10) Wolverine- All Style and little substance. Decent action but flimsy story.
9) Paul Blart Mall Cop- Silly comedy with a few laughs courtesy of Kevin James.
8) Duplicity- Audience is the one who gets duped in this confusing, empty star vehicle for Julia Roberts and Clive Owen.
7) Twilight:New Moon- I just don’t get it but then again I’m not a teenage girl.
6) Sherlock Holmes- Overindulgent and actually tedious with characters that have no depth at all.
5) The International- Clive Owen can’t save this “Bourne” ripoff minus the action. A silly plot and a wasted Naomi Watts can’t make for the great worldwide locations and one solid action sequence.
4) Nine- Some enjoyable flashes but disappointing and a miscast Daniel Day Lewis.
3) Knowing- Not knowing would have been better. Un-original and dreary.
2) Year One- An awful mess on every level. How disappointing from the man who directed “Ghostbusters” and “Stripes”.
1) The Box- better left unopened.