Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Barbarian

  



This is not a brand new film but one I missed in theaters last year and I'm so glad it's available now on HBOMAX. While I usually reserve my reviews for new films, this one deserves honorable mention.

   While I love the horror genre, I am usually disappointed in what passes these days for really scary movies. I'm writing about this one as it's the best horror film I've seen since "Hereditary" and "The Babadook".

     The film is written and directed by Zack Cregger. The less known about the plot the better. I will just say, it's creepy, truly scary, quite disturbing and infused with some clever surprises. Mr. Cregger really knows how to throw a curve ball and his cast is up to the challenge of scaring the crap out of you. While aspects of the script aren't perfect, you are pulled right into the story from the start and won't really care.

      Georgina Campbell is the terrific female lead and co-starring are Bill Skarsgard, Justin Long, Richard Brake and Matthew Patrick Davis.

      Be prepared for nightmares...


No comments: